- Participate in cutting-edge geoscience research in Hawai'i!
- The ESVI REU Program at UHM offers 10 motivated undergraduates the opportunity to engage in independent research alongside scientist mentors at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. Participants in this 9-week program receive a stipend of $5,000 plus travel and room/board. Students also participate in field trips to sites of active volcanism and a short marine expedition on a research vessel.
The deadline for applications has passed. Please sign in to see existing application status.
(May be modified due to COVID-19)
- $5,000 stipend
- Round-trip airfare from home institution to Honolulu, Hawai'i
- On-campus housing and meal/dining plan
- Field excursions on Oahu and the Big Island
- Marine science expedition on the R/V Kilo Moana
- Must be U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or permanent residents of the United States
- Must be currently enrolled in undergraduate studies leading to a baccalaureate or associate degree and planning to enroll in Fall 2021
- Not available to graduating seniors
- Minorities, including Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders, as well as students from institutions with limited undergraduate research opportunities, are encouraged to apply.
Application Information & Supporting Documents
- A completed application form, which includes questions about your GPA, skills background, and your top three choices for your REU research mentor. The form also requires that you answer essay questions, each with a limit of 1800 characters (with spaces).
- Unofficial transcripts of all previous college or university work, including work in progress
- Contact information for one reference (preferably professors in your major field) who know you well and can attest for your scholastic abilities. You do not need to request for your reference to provide a letter at this time. Your recommender may be contacted to complete a reference form after the first round of application evaluation.
- Once you begin an application, you can check the status at any time by logging into this website
- Only applications completed by the deadline will be reviewed